Thank you to all our members, leaders of other unions and their members, and the various elected officials (e.g., State Sen. Pacheco, Cong. Keating, State Sen. Keenan, etc.) who attended our Labor Day rally to keep our public transportation system public.
Many have estimated we had as many as 1,000 union members at the rally. As you can see from the video below, it was a sea of orange. To see more photos from the rally, visit our Facebook page. For those who were not able to attend the rally, you can click on the video below to watch it.
The following is a small portion of the coverage our rally received in the news:
- MBTA union, taxi drivers hold protests
- On Labor Day visit, Obama praises Boston, US workers
- Before President Obama’s visit, MBTA union lashes into Gov. Charlie Baker
- Labor Day not likely to be holiday for Obama in Boston
- Obama Celebrates Labor Day With Paid Sick Leave and Takes a Swipe at Scott Walker
In closing, although this was a great showing, we can do better and we must do better if we are to educate the public about the dangers of privatization and the need to properly fund the T. We cannot and will not sit idly by while the Baker administration uses us as scapegoats for the MBTA’s problems so he can steal the public’s transportation system and hand it over to his rich cronies and contributors.
Keep checking this website and attending your meetings to stay informed. If you are not on our e-mail list, click here to join it now.
Boston Carmen’s Union, Local 589