May will be a month of action, excitement and mobilization, the likes of which have never been seen in ATU history.
Hear details from President Hanley at LIVE webcasts TOMORROW (Wed., April 23) @ 7pm ET or 10pm ET. Click here to join the webcast tomorrow: http://new.livestream.com/ATUTV.
Throughout May members will be reaching out to riders across North America to let them know we stand with them in the fight for more, better and safer public transit. It will be a month of action to call for more funding for public transit. A month of action to call for a stop on attacks on transit workers. And a month of action to promote safety and overtime protections of over-the-road bud drivers.
Locals will be holding events at bus stops, train stations and other transit venues to engage riders in our campaign. They will be organizing “ride-alongs” and rallies with elected officials and candidates who support more investment in public transit.
Why are we doing this? — because we are in the fight of our lives for our livelihood and our children’s future!
Public transit is facing a crisis in the U.S. and Canada. Service is being cut and fares are being raised. Our wages, benefits and pensions under attack. The rich continue to get richer while working people continue to suffer as the Koch brothers, ALEC, corporations, and their billionaire buddies will stop at nothings to terminate essential public services for hard working people.
It’s easy to get involved (see below). It will only take a couple of hours of your time to reach out to the riders who get on our buses and trains every day. You also might be surprised how rewarding and empowering it can be – especially when you’re joining with your union brothers and sisters.
The following are five easy ways to get involved:
- Participate in the ATU Telephone Town Hall on Sunday, April 27 at 6 & 9 pm ET, in which International President Larry Hanley will discuss our May Transit Action Month.
- Contact your local and arrange to join fellow members in leafleting and talking to riders about the Transit Action coalition campaign.
- Watch International President Hanley’s live webinar on May Transit Action Month activities.
- Call your elected officials in Canada on Tuesday, May 13 and the United States on Tuesday, May 20 – National Transit Call Elected Officials Day
- Attend a ride-along with your elected official organized by your local.
And don’t forget to check out atu.org for more information on events and scheduling.