Dear brothers and sisters,
The backlash against the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) and its decision to reduce the number of health plans offered to state workers and retirees has been steadily growing, with more key lawmakers and the Attorney General speaking up Tuesday against the move.
However, we need to keep up the pressure on the GIC and demand that they reverse these changes. That is why we are encouraging all our members (who are not working) and retirees to join our brothers and sisters from other public sector unions at the following labor rallies to make our collective voices heard:
- GIC Speak Out Rally on Tuesday, January 30 at 5:00 PM at the Boston Teachers Union, 180 Mt. Vernon St., Dorchester.
- Senate Ways & Means Committee Oversight Hearing on the GIC, Wednesday, January 31 at 11:00 AM at the State House (Room TBD).
In addition to these labor rallies, the GIC will be holding a series of public hearings to collect feedback in advance of their official decision. We encourage all our members and retirees who are able and not working to attend one of these hearings. If you plan to attend please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to attend a hearing in person, below are three ways you can make your voice heard.
- Call the GIC at 617-727-2310 or submit comments at https://www.mass.gov/forms/contact-the-gic.
- Post your concerns to the GIC’s following social media pages:
- You can also send a message to your state representative urging them to support a greater voice for employees on the Group Insurance Commission: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/protect-health-insurance-for-public-employees-and-retirees?source=facebook&.
Boston Carmen’s Union, Local 589